- Turn off the TV during meals
- Set a good example-limit your own screen time
- Keep TV's out of kids' bedrooms
- Try a weekday ban. Record shows or save TV and videos for weekends so you'll have more family time for meals, games, physical activity, reading, and just plain quality time with your kids
- Stock the room in which you have the TV with plenty of other non-screen entertainment such as books, kids' magazines, toys, puzzles, board games, etc.
- Don't allow kids to watch TV while doing homework
- Treat TV as a privilege to be earned- not a right. Establish and enforce family TV viewing rules, such as TV is only allowed after chores and homework is completed
- Come up with a family TV schedule that you all agree upon each week. Then post the schedule in a visible area ( on the refrigerator) so that everyone knows which programs are OK to watch and when. Make sure to turn off the TV when the scheduled program is over instead of channel surfing
What about all of you? What do you do in your homes to limit the amount of television?